Friday, May 6, 2016

Part 1: Smock Dress

I've finally finished playing Dead Space 3!!!
Woo-hoo~~~

I am finally blogging! I know it's been a while. I wasn't in the mood to update and every time I wanted to, I ended up doing something else. Why do I suddenly decide to blog? I realised that I won't be able to update my blog since I am unable to sew this week! :(

As the title goes, I am going to teach you how to make your very own smock dress!!! :D

Materials:
2-2.5m of fabric
Thread
Sewing machine
Needles


Step 1: Making the pattern


Take your favourite Dress or Top
Fold it into half.

Trace out the bodice. (I did not trace out the whole length of the top but only to where I want the bodice to end)

I am very lazy to make a pattern for both the front and back bodice hence I decided to roughly draw a curve at the neck line to differentiate the front and back of the bodice. (The first curve is an alteration to the back bodice)

Then I snip off the first curve which will be my back bodice neckline.

In case you have no idea what I was talking about. I labelled for you! HEHE!
Draft out the sleeve.
Step 2: Cutting the fabric (Bodice & Sleeve)

 Pin the pattern to the fabric and cut out the back bodice.

Follow the previous step. To get the front bodice, cut out the back neckline.

Now, you will have both the front and back bodice! YAY!

Follow the sleeve pattern and cut the fabric out.

Step 3: Sewing the patterns
 Pin the shoulder with right sides facing each other. Then sew the raw egdes.

 Pin the side seams and sew them down.
Attach the sleeves to the bodice right sides facing each other.

Step 4: Cutting the pattern (Skirt)

Measure the waist of the bodice and add about 10-15" to the waistline measurement. Since my fabric wasn't long enough to cut out the exact waistline, I cut out about four pieces of fabric which added to the waistline. The length of the skirt will be your own preference. I want to make a mini smock dress hence my length of the skirt is shorter than usual dress. 

Since I have extra fabric and I wanted my smock dress to be slightly different from the normal ones you can get from stores, I cut out 2 sets of  5" by 5"with a fold at the side. These will be added to the sleeve making them ruffled sleeves. :D


Step 5: Assembling the dress
Since I have 4sets of the skirt, I first sew the 4sets to make it into one skirt. Then, attach the skirt to the bodice by adding small pleats. These pleats make it a smock dress. Now, sew down the skirt.
 Pin the 5"by 5" to the raw edges of the sleeve.

Finally, hem the ends of the sleeves, neckline and skirt.
So how did my smock dress go?








Isn't it pretty?!

 Now who said you can't make your own smock dress?! HAHAHAHAHA!

Next post will be on top with sexy bell sleeves~

Recommended song: You are my everything- Gummy
  

Please visit my youtube channel, mahirah html :)

Hi, I have no idea who is reading this. If you love to sew, DIY and see random unboxing, it will be great if you can subscribe to my chan...

Labels