Tuesday, May 17, 2016

DIY: Cardigan

Hey my wonderful readers!
It's time to learn how to sew yourself a cardigan.

Materials:
  • Knit Fabric
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread
  • A pair of scissors
  • Buttons (Optional)
  • Paper (For making pattern)
 1. Making the pattern

Using your favourite cardigan or sweater, trace out the front, back and sleeve pattern on pieces of paper.

If your cardigan has a hoodie, you might want to trace it out.
 
2. Cutting the fabric

Once your patterns are ready, use the scissors to cut out the pattern with an additional 0.5-1" allowances around the edges.


3. Assembling the pieces

*ensure that the right-right sides are facing each other before sewing
*working with knit fabric without a serger or overlock machine may requires you to use zigzag stitching

Firstly, pin and sew the shoulder pieces together.


Secondly, pin and sew the sleeves to the respective armhole.


Thirdly, pin the raw edges of the sleeves and the side seam. Once you're done pinning, you can sew the sleeve and the side.



+This applies to those who have/like to have a hoodie+ 
Lastly, pin and sew the hoodie to the collar area and close the hoodie by sewing the top part.



4. Finishing touches

Cut out a long strip of fabric with a width of 2" with the length of raw edges. This strip acts as a bias tape hence sew it around the raw edges of the cardigan.

You may add buttons and button holes to the bias tape. Also, you may like to have small pockets at the front of the cardigan which will make it extra cute.

So how did my cardigan turn out?


I will be redoing the bias tape because the length was too short which caused my cardigan to curl.
Hence it is important that your bias tape is long enough to prevent curling. Other than that, I am satisfied with the end result. Once my bias tape is redone, I will be adding buttons to it! HEHE.
Also, I will upload a new photo soon with a better output!


This smock dress is by far the best thing I've ever sew! *Dances*

Recommended drama: Flower in the prison



Please visit my youtube channel, mahirah html :)

Hi, I have no idea who is reading this. If you love to sew, DIY and see random unboxing, it will be great if you can subscribe to my chan...

Labels