Wednesday, February 10, 2016

double layered square circle skirt~

Hey guys!
I went for a fabric haul! :D


Today I will be teaching you how to create your very own Double-Layered square circle skirt. This is a super easy project. If you succeed in this, you can create many more similar skirts for yourself! Let's get started~

Important reminder
You need 2 sets of 1.5m fabric ( I did forget that I was going to be making a double layered skirt. So I only bought 1.5m of choice fabric. Lucky for me I had leftover fabric which can be used for making the skirt!)



When it comes to sewing a skirt, your waist measurement is the most important thing. Hence, always have your waist measurement recorded before starting on a skirt project! Afterwards, you can use this app/website to create your own pattern!

App/Website: http://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app

Since it is a circle skirt, you have to click on the FULL.
Let me show you an example:






Then it will show you have your skirt pattern should be like


Since we are making a square circle skirt, the ends will be a straight line instead of curve.


If you want your skirt to be 16" long, the other end has to be 16" too.

So how did prepare my skirt pattern?

First I cut out a square (18" by 18")


Next, I did the radius at the corner of the pattern.


Lastly, I cut out the radius. 



Once you get your skirt pattern, you can start cutting out the fabric. In the beginning, I mentioned you need to 2 sets of fabric. Therefore, you need to have 2 sets of skirt.



After cutting out the fabrics, hem all the four ends!


If you have two different fabric patterns/colours, you can decide which you prefer to be the outer/inner layer. For myself, I chose the flannel pattern to be the outer layer while the blue skirt as the inner layer.

Then pin the outer and inner layer together. Both right sides have to be on the surface facing you.  Sew the two pieces together.


 You can start making the waistband once the pieces are together.

Waistband: Waist measurement + 3"


Fold in the longer edge about 0.5" and sew it down.
Connect the unsewn longer edge to the circumference of the skirt.


Fold the waistband into half and sew to the skirt.


Cut down the centre of the skirt to attach the zipper. Do cut till where the zipper ends or where you want the zipper to end. Attach the zipper to the skirt. In cases where you want to add hook to the skirt, lower the zipper about 1.5" from the waistband (which what I did for this skirt).


 After attaching the zipper, I added the hook.


So how did the skirt go?



Isn't it pretty?!!! HEHE.

Since there's leftover fabric, I decided to make a scrunchies.

Cut out a long rectangular fabric (18" by 3").
Fold into half (right-right). Sew the ends.

  
Using a loop turner, turn the fabric inside out.








Insert a elastic band about 9" long into the long fabric using a safety pin.
Sew the ends of the elastic band followed by the ends of the fabric. (To have a better finish, sew the ends of the fabric by hand)
Then you're done!



I made this skirt for my sister and she was happy with the result!!! YAY!
May this be helpful for those reading.

Recommended K-drama for the month: Remember- War of the Son (This drama is going to end soon. For those who are looking for a new drama to watch, this is it!)

Thank you for reading!
XOXO, Mahirah

Please visit my youtube channel, mahirah html :)

Hi, I have no idea who is reading this. If you love to sew, DIY and see random unboxing, it will be great if you can subscribe to my chan...

Labels